I run a company called Flux. I have a lovely wife called Ellie. I have a dog called Biscuit. I have a van called Manny that I use to travel and live all over Europe.
It's often a struggle to explain precisely what I do in one pithy paragraph.
So instead, here are some links to projects I'm doing and have done:
- Territories | 18th May to 14th June '15
- A film documenting two people hitchhiking from London to Minsk. Trying to understand why Europe is the way it is, by meeting its people, walking its roads, and eating its food.
- The Fringe in Alrewas | Dec '14 to Present
- A fringe festival supporting creative projects led by young people, alongside the popular Alrewas Arts Festival in the East Midlands.
- Escape Studios | Sep '14 to Present
- Creating their new experiential, project-based pedagogy. Designing MA and Undergraduate programmes in VFX, Animation, Games Design, and Innovation.
- Pearson College | Sep '14 to Present
- The parent company of Escape Studios. Currently running fairly traditional business programmes, but moving into new areas with its School of Creative Industries.
- Manchester Creative Studio | Aug '14
- Ran a two-day training workshop (through Hyper Island) for the teachers and coaches of this new creative High School. Supporting them to embed project-based learning into their practice.
- Hyper Island - Digital Apprenticeship in Interactive Design and Development | Nov '13 to Aug '14
- Alongside the Programme Manager and Partnership Manager I led on the learning design work for this vocational programme.
- Hyper Island - MA in Experience Design | Sep '13 to Aug '14
- My final job at Hyper Island, and some of my finest work: designing a new MA that meets a pressing industry need.
- Hyper Island - Manchester | Jun '12 to Aug '14
- I was the third employee at Hyper Island Manchester, helping to design and run the first accredited Masters programme for this global education company.
- Hyper Island - Singapore | Oct '12 + Sep '13
- I worked with the team in Singapore on something called EduTrust documentation, required by the government to make Hyper Island into an official school in Singapore. I also helped developing and kick-off their part-time MA programme in Digital Media Management.
- Year Here | Jun '14 + Jan '15 to Present
- Mentor for a 2015 fellow. I also gave the 2014 cohort feedback on their social business concepts during the intensive Social Ventures Incubator.
- Brighter Sound | Jun '14 to Present
- Board Member, now Observer of this exceptional music charity. Advising on alternative models of learning and education.
- Alrewas Radio | Aug '12 to Present
- Helped a group of enthusiastic young people set up this local Internet radio station.
- Peer Club | Jun '13 to Mar '14
- Designer and facilitator of this short-lived initiative to build a network of supportive, like-minded digital professionals in Manchester.
- TEDxYouth Bath | Nov '14
- Supported the World Café workshop, helping young people to discuss and express their fears and hopes for their future.
- UNICEF Project at Wood End Infant School | Jun to Jul '13
- Producing a song (written by the kids!) and video to support this West-London school's status as a UNICEF Rights Respecting School.
- Company Day at Code ComputerLove | Apr '13
- As part of my work at Hyper Island I designed and lead-facilitated this 80-person day to get this digital agency away from the office. The purpose was to spend some time together and talk about what was working, what wasn't, and what Computerlove means to them.
- SHE Choir Retreats | Sep '12 + Oct '13 + Nov '14
- Supported this wonderful all-female choir with the design and delivery of three annual retreats in delightful countryside settings. Ran short workshops on purpose, strengths and weaknesses, and cooked for 40 people.
- Institute for Cultural Practices | Apr '11 to Feb '13
- Research and evaluation projects for a range of Mancunian organizations in the arts and cultural sectors, all under the umbrella of this Manchester University-based research hub.
...10 more items to add here...
- Creative Partnerships | Jan '10 to Jul '11
- Worked in Cumbria and Yorkshire training and supporting teachers and students to use filmmaking and animation as a learning tool.